Skip to content

Health and Safety

It is important to make sure that students have all of the necessary vaccinations and immunizations for the trip. Visit the CDC website for a list of vaccinations recommended by the CDC before international travel and any health advisories of which students should be aware.
If students require any type of prescription medication, make sure to bring enough of the medication to last for the duration of the trip. It may be difficult to fill prescriptions while overseas so it is a good idea to bring extra medication. However, students should also bring copies of prescriptions in case more is needed.
It may be a good idea to make sure students visits any and all doctors, dentists, etc. before leaving for their trip. This will ensure that the student is in good health prior to visiting abroad, which can help prevent problems while away. If additional treatment, other than prescription drugs, may be required for your student, acquire a written letter from his or her doctor for your student to take with them. The letter should include all details of your student’s required medical treatment. This will make it much easier for your student to receive the appropriate treatments while they are abroad.
Students who participate in a study abroad program are required to enroll in the designated International Insurance.  Coverage is provided for all students by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).

CISI 2014-2015 Summary of Benefits
Student Traveler's Insurance
Travel Insurance, as opposed to supplemental medical insurance, is optional for all Samford study abroad classes. Choose the following link for a price quote for insurance.
For coverage levels of the policy, click on "Compare."

iTravel Student Travelers Insurance

Students are encouraged to be independent yet responsible when studying abroad. Make sure you are aware of the laws in the country you are visiting. Many laws, such as those for the required age for alcohol consumption, differ around the world. Students should make responsible decisions in regards to these laws. Samford’s Drug and Alcohol Policy still apply to students when studying abroad.

Samford Drug and Alcohol Policy
Students should also be familiar with the culture of the country they are visiting. Certain behaviors that are acceptable in the U.S. are not acceptable in other countries. Some attitudes towards gender, friendships and dating differ as wel,l and students should be aware of those differences.
Packing First Aid Supplies Personal Document Needed Safety Tips

Are You Prepared for an Emergency?
Make sure you have the contact information for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are going. Consular duty personnel are available for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at U.S. embassies, consulates, and consular agencies overseas and in Washington, D.C. If your family needs to reach you because of an emergency at home or if they are worried about your welfare, they should call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours). The State Department will relay the message to the consular officers in the country where you are.  The consular officers will then try to locate you, pass on any urgent messages, and, if you wish, report back to your family on your welfare.  If you need to call from overseas, you should call the office at +1 202 501-4444.

Please see the following links for additional health and safety information:
            US Department of State – Students Abroad
            US Department of State
            US Department of State – Smart Traveler app
            Travel Warnings
            US Embassies Abroad
            Registration with US Embassies
            Association for Safe international Road Travel
            World Health Organization