Israel Study Trip
December 31, 2016 to January 11, 2017
• The Office of Spiritual Life will partner with Beeson Divinity School and travel to Israel for a 10-day tour of Galilee, Jerusalem, and surrounding areas. We can take a total of 40 people from Samford, including 18 undergraduate students.
• Participation in the trip is by application only. Applications are due Friday October 21st. A $100 deposit is required for consideration and will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate. The application process will require a copy of your passport (if available), informed consent waivers, and a medical information questionnaire.
• The trip can be taken for course credit – INTL 399 – a general education humanities elective. This is optional but will require academic work. You may still participate even if you do not take the course.
• Dr. Matt Kerlin (Office of Spiritual Life) & Dr. Osvaldo Padilla (Beeson Divinity School) will be leading the trip.
• Passages Israel (http://passagesisrael.org/
) is organizing the logistical details and providing substantial financial support for participants.
• Rivka Kidron and Scott Phillips are our primary contacts with Passages.
• They will provide transportation, lodging, security, medical care, and tour guides once we land. Dates and Travel Arrangements:
• We will depart JFK in New York December 31st at 11:50 pm and return to JFK January 11th at 6:00 am.
• You are responsible for providing your own transportation to and from JFK. • Students are encouraged but not required to book domestic travel through travel agent Eitan Battat at email@example.com. Students will still pay for domestic travel, but using this travel agent will make it easier to track participants with potential flight delays, etc.
• The total cost of the trip will be approximately $1000.
• The breakdown of costs is as follows: $500 per person paid + domestic travel to JFK + spending and tip money + any passport costs + $35 trip insurance fee + $100 for guide and driver tips.
• The $500 trip cost includes all ground costs (lodging, transportation, meals, entrance to sites). Gratuity for guide and driver is extra and industry standard is $10 per day per participant, or $100 total.
• Snacks and souvenirs are up to students and vary from person to person.
• Additional fees apply should students enroll for course credit.
• Round trip flights from Birmingham to NYC are approximately $350.
• A passport valid for a minimum of six months from the date of departure is required for US citizens. If you have a visa stamp in your passport to any countries in the Middle East, you may want to get a clean passport to avoid any problems as you go through passport control.
• October 21st – application deadline, including $100 deposit paid to Bursar’s office
• October 28th – students selected to participate will be notified
• November 14th – final payment of $400 due along with roommate request
• December 2nd – $35 insurance payment due November 29th – Mandatory meeting for all participants at 10am, location TBA